Gettin on with the life God intended!

Monday, September 25, 2006

Life is just so crazy. Up until Saturday night shortly after the Ole Miss game I was a political science major with an undeclared minor and a lot of stress, but I am that no longer. Around eleven Saturday night I changed my major. I am now a psychology major with an emphasis in counseling. I am so excited, counseling is something I love to do, only the name has a nicer ring to it than something I love to call 'getting in to other peoples business.' I have been making a lot of changes in my life in the past couple of months. I have been trying to releave the stress that i have felt as if I were under and I have been trying to reorganize my life. It occured to me though recently that even through all of the changes and the stress relief attempts I have been making, I was still stressed. Saturday night William, John, and went to Chili's for dinner and we sat there after a long day of groving, sitting at a two hour delayed game, and then sitting through the pouring rain (only to watch our team get the crap beat out of them) and we just sat there talking about this and that. Eventually William asked both John and I what we planned on doing with our lives. John knew what he wants to do or at least had a general direction that he was happy to be heading in. I however, after hearing William say "I know you are going to Law School, BUT WHAT DO YOU REALLY WANT TO DO after that?"; it hit me I wasnt sure. What did I really want to do with my life? I wasnt sure and that statement drove me insane for a couple of hours, it really bothered me that I was 'wanting' to go to law school and yet I had no clue what I wanted to do anymore. At one time I was absolutely positive that I wanted to work on either Enviromental law or International law, but now I was not sure. In fact I was to the point that I just wanted to GET THROUGH law school and then eventually I would decide from there what I wanted to do. I mean with a law degree I could do just about anything I wanted to do but I didnt want to settle for eventually making my mind up after I had put all that energy and effort into something that was already stressing me out. Eventually Saturday night after we left Chili's and I took John back to his apartment and William and I headed back to the student center, I was just kind of feeling lost and I talked to William some, but he eventually had to go home, so I went up to my room, got on line, began seriously questioning the path I was headed in. All I could think was "What do I want to do with my life... What does God want me to do with my life?" For some reason it just hit me, I didnt want to go to law school in fact I detested the thought of having to deal with all of the stress that a law student and eventually a lawyer has to deal with and if you know me, you know that I struggle all the time with stressing over everything. It was insane I had spent the last six years convinced that I wanted to go to law school and now I couldnt stand the thought. So I began to consider what I am best at, what I really wanted to do, what I loved to do, and what I could do to better serve God. After a good bit of debating I knew what I wanted to do. I want to be a Christian family counselor. It was simple... I love getting into peoples business when asked (haha), I love listening to people talk, I have always wanted to do something where I can help people, I have never wanted a job where I bring my work home with me all hours of the day and night, and I above allI want the work I do to be for God. The moment I decided what I wanted to do I felt this enormous amount of stress had been lifted. Finally I had made my decision and began to make plans, I am hoping to go to Harding Grad in Memphis, so that I can specialize in Christain family counseling. I am just glad at this point though that I have made up my mind and that I am excited to start classes next semester because of my major. God has really blessed me and I want to carry out his plan for my life, whatever it may be, I want to live for God and know that no matter where I am in life he will guide me and protect me. I know that my coming to this realization wasnt some kind of mistake or some kind of chickening out of law school or something of that nature, it was God showing me that there are other options out there for me in ways that I can serve him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home